Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cyberkit signature

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:04:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 djmurd () cox net wrote:

Hey there - can any of you please point me to some reliable information
that says the "cyberkit 2.2" signature is really the Nachia / Welchia
worm?

Do you see a ton of them?  Are they coming from Win32 based hosts?  Then
probably yes.  :)  I forget where, but there was a writeup that had a
breakdown of the packets involved.  IIRC, there was a particular set of
bytes in the ping packet that you could trigger on.

I need some more ammo in order to block ICMP for our network...

Blocking ICMP is bad, M'kay?  </Mr.MackeyVoice>

You break MTU-Path discovery and a couple of other things.  You can if you
want, but it can wreak havoc on Solaris boxes if you're not careful.
Consider blocking the ICMP echo request of only the size that the worm
uses.  It's something odd like 91 bytes I think...

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams