Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort on router - risks?

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:22:16 +0200

Hi,

Marcus Schopen wrote:
Hi,
[...]
So my question: what are the risks to set up snort on the gateway-router
instead of using a seperate snort host? Is that insecure? And why?

Basically one should run as few services as possible on a system directly
connected to the internet. Snort 1.9 was remotely exploitable. Security measures
may become a target of an attack as well.

As far as I'm concerned in this case it is a acceptable limited risk which is
always there - no matter if you have a separate IDS machine or using for ex. the
packet filter. Maybe slightly increased in the latter case. Because Snort is
intentionally getting packets before a packet packet filter can take them out,
there is no protection for it. That's simply the way it is.

In a such small environment ;) - where deployment costs should be held as low as
possible I would pay more attention on services that are directly reachable over
the internet - if you offer some. Snort will however remain a target, a small
one, though.

If someone takes over the IDS machine there is one level more to hack in order
to reach your protected network. But if the guy only wants to use your IDS
machine for his own purposes he is not interested in breaking in your network.

If your packet filter with IDS onboard is being hacked, then much worse things
may happen.

It is always a question of cost-benefit-factor unfortunatelly you have to
calculate for yourself. ;)

Regards,

Edin

Thanks