Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort on router - risks?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

I would not bother setting up a second box if this is for your
house and you know what you're doing (as in patching and locking
down the box).  The main reasons to seperate the boxes is to
avoid security holes from misconfigurations (ie, one daemon
misconfigured ruins the hole box and all its services), and
taxing the machine.

--- Marcus Schopen <lists () localguru de> wrote:
Hi,

on my DSL-router (masqurading) at home I'd like to install
snort to see
who attacks me from the internet side. I know that one should
install
snort on a seperate hosts before and behind the firewall to
get the best
results, but this is just my little "private-home-net" and I
don't want
to set up further linuxboxes (no money, to space, too loud
...).

So my question: what are the risks to set up snort on the
gateway-router
instead of using a seperate snort host? Is that insecure? And
why?

Thanks
Marcus

--
Marcus Schopen        (0>
P.O. Box 10 25 25     //\     Deutsche Zope User Group

         Weird, but life is too short, move on ...

including
Data Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums are available
now.

=====