Snort mailing list archives

Re: what version of SPADE to use with Snort?

From: James Hoagland <jim () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:10:23 -0700

At 9:51 AM +0100 4/16/03, BHR Hana wrote:

Hi all,
I have installed snort-1.9.1 and I have to analyse SPADE, I notice that snort involves a spade distribution [under ~/snort-v/contrib/Spade-092200.1] Thus I have downloaded Spade-030125.1 from silicondefense,
Could any one tell me which distribution may I run with snort??

That is indeed confusing for users. Version 092200.1, as you may have guessed, is a much older version. In fact, it doesn't work with Snort 1.9 and later (at a minimum, the install procedure won't work due to the Snort package being restructured). You should use version 030125.1. I have asked for the version of Spade included in "contrib" to be updated at least once in the past, but those with the power to make this fix did not do so.

Also, could you help me to configure spade to adjust its threshold?

As described in the Usage.Spade file, you can set Spade's threshold by adding "thesh=<thresh>" to your spade-detect lines. If for some reason you wanted to have the threshold automatically adjusted, see the section of Usage.Spade that describes spade-adapt3.

Best regards,

  Jim
--
|*     Jim Hoagland, Associate Researcher, Silicon Defense     *|
|*    --- Silicon Defense: The Cyberwar Defense Company ---    *|