Snort mailing list archives

RE: How to Use Throttle when using Swatch for duplicate email alerts

From: "Hutchinson, Andrew" <Andrew.Hutchinson () Vanderbilt edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:13:06 -0500

First, make sure that you're read the swatch documentation (man swatch).

Next, make sure that you're properly matching the event you want to
watch with the regex that you specify.  It sounds like you are, since
you're getting the alerts.

Now, you have to consider exactly _what_ swatch is using when deciding
whether to throttle an event or not.  By default, swatch uses the
_whole_ message (i.e the whole line that triggered the alert).  If
_ANYTHING_ is different from one line to the next (like a timestamp, an
event identifier, an ip address, a port number, etc.) then the events
are dissimilar and will NOT be throttled.

However, you can also specify the use=regex option in your throttle
statement, which causes swatch to only use the regex match in
determining whether to throttle an event.

Here's a "for instance".  Lets say that I have somebody trying to brute
force their way into my system.  (Here my "brute forcing" is me
attempting to log into my syslog server incorrectly a couple of
times...)

Apr 10 08:59:27 ns-syslog sshd(pam_unix)[25635]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=10.1.1.1  user=root
Apr 10 08:59:36 ns-syslog sshd(pam_unix)[25635]: 2 more authentication
failures; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=10.1.1.1
user=root
Apr 10 08:59:38 ns-syslog sshd(pam_unix)[25637]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=10.1.1.1  user=root
Apr 10 08:59:46 ns-syslog sshd(pam_unix)[25637]: 2 more authentication
failures; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=10.1.1.1
user=root

If I were to use this directive in swatch.conf...

watchfor /authentication failure/
        throttle 10:00
        exec=echo \"At $1 $2 $3 Login Failure << $0 >>\" | sendmail -f
swatch@ns-syslog andrew.hutchinson () vanderbilt edu

...I would get 4 messages emailed to me.  Look at field number 3 (the
timestamp).  Different timestamps.  Different events.  No throttling.

However, if I use THIS directive in swatch.conf...

watchfor /authentication failure/
        throttle 10:00,use=regex
        exec=echo \"At $1 $2 $3 Login Failure << $0 >>\" | sendmail -f
swatch@ns-syslog andrew.hutchinson () vanderbilt edu

... I get one email message mailed to me.  Here it is: