Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort rule question

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, James Lay wrote:

So ok....trying to catch those naughty spammers using:

alert tcp $SMTP_SERVERS 25 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Open Mail Relay Attempt"; content:"Relay access denied";
classtype:mail-abuse; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

Now the above rule works.  I originally had:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any <- $SMTP_SERVERS 25 (msg:"Open Mail Relay Attempt"; content:"Relay access denied";
classtype:mail-abuse; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

And it did not work.  Any reason the two aren't equivalent?

Well logically they are....

The <- operator never really worked and was removed from the code.  What
version of Snort are you running?  Recent versions should have said that
the <- was invalid.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams