Snort mailing list archives

Re: re: snortcenter/using a sensor with no ip address

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:38:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 lindsay.hunt () ustug net wrote:

I am running Snort 2.0 with Acid on Redhat 8. The Snort box has 2
interfaces; eth0 has an ip address and is used to administer the box; eth1
doesn't have an ip address and is plugged into a mirror port.  I am running
snort with the '-i eth1' option.   I have installed Snortcenter and would
like to use it to simplify rule management.  When I attempt to add the
sensor eth1 (no ip address) in Snortcenter, it appears that Snortcenter
wants an ip address for the sensor. When I attempt to push the rule set to
the sensor and then reload, Snortcenter complains that it cannot connect to
eth1 due to the fact that it doesn't have an ip address. Is there a way
around this?

<smart_ass_answer_mode>

Sure!  It's an easy fix!  Don't use Snortcenter.

</smart_ass_answer_mode>

Seriously, don't use it.  There seems to be a few issues with Snortcenter
and v2.0.  I'd suggest that until they are worked out, that it's not used.

If this truly is an error with SC, then you'll need to see if the
author(s) can get that fixed.  If it's a problem with your startup script,
then that's a different issue.  What are the specifics of your error?

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams