Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID/mysql/snort install

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, D@7@K|N& wrote:

OK.maybe this has been answered already and I missed it.

Yep.  About once a week or so.  Check the list archives [0]

It's also covered in the ACID FAQ [1].

If so, please indulge me as I would really like to get this system up
and running.

It's also amazingly available from Google [2].

I followed the steps according to the HOW-TO at the
following link: http://www.madisonlinux.org/help/snort.shtml.

Nope.  Check step 4 again.  It tells you about adding permissions for the
user who's going to access the DB.

Except that I'm setting this up on a RedHat 9 system with all of the
newest package instead of the ones listed.  Basically everything went
off without a hitch EXCEPT the snort RPMs.  I couldn't find them
anywhere.  So I downloaded and installed the newest release (2.0.0) from
tarball.  Now obviously there are some options that aren't available
because of the version differences, which I can accept.  However, once
everything is said and done, I get an access denied error when I try it
out.  I've enclosed a screenshot for clarity.  Is this a database issue?
A snort issue?  A mysql issue?  Can anyone help????

MySQL issue.

Ok, now that I've pointed you at handy places for the info, I guess I
should tell you what you need.  :)

There might be two actuall problems.  In your image, there are two
different users.  snort@localhost and acid@localhost.  I'd guess that you
created acid@localhost, but the ACID config and/or the snort.conf are
trying to use snort@localhost.  Pick one and make sure they have all the
needed permissions on the snort table in the MySQL DB.

One thing that the article doesn't mention that is helpful:  Grab
contrib/snortdb-extra.gz and install it.  It makes things in ACID a bit
more human readable.

Oh, and 1 penalty drink [3].  ;-)

Cheers!

-----