Snort mailing list archives

Re: snortsam and debian

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:35:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Hans Steinraht wrote:

hi,
I have succesfully installed snort on a linux debian box and all is
running well

Next I like to install SnortSam to have the possibility to block ip's.

My problem is: there is no deb-package for it.
I could download the Snort sources and complile them by myself but then I
miss the automatic updates for my rulesets from debian (apt)

Does anyone has some ideas how to get SnortSam installed on a Debian
machine, or are there maybe alternatives that can block ip addresses after
Snort has detect something.

To be honest, roll you own.  Don't worry about a premade binary, as they
tend to give you more problems down the road and you end up building your
own eventually.

And a bit of serious advice--NEVER, EVER auto-update rules.  All it takes
is one bad rule and your entire IDS is down.  And how hard is:

        cd /tmp/rulestuff
        wget http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-current.tar.gz
        tar -zxvf snortrules-current.tar.gz
        <examine the rules>
        <if Ok, then>
        mv * /etc/snort/rules/

If you just can't live without the auto-update, then consider the program
oinkmaster [0].  It does do rule updates, but it does it in a smart
manner....

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams