Snort mailing list archives

Re: 802.1q Monitoring

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:43:38 -0400

Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net> writes:

2003-06-05T16:46:00 Ron Shuck:
Has anyone implemented or tried to monitor a 802.1q (trunked)
connection with Snort?

[...]

If one snort config will work for all your vlans,

Extend DecodeVlan() to be able to decode what it finds in decode.c and
submit a patch to snort-devel and traffic captures of your trunked vlan
configuration.

Even if you don't have C skills, please send (atleast me) a packet
caputure of your trunked vlan.

Even if 1 snort config won't work for your vlans, you can use bpf to
filter by vlan id before it goes to snort and then run a separate
snort on each vlan.
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>