Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unable to open rules file: snort.conf error

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:54:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, stormshadow wrote:

I reinstalled mandrake 9.0 today and put snort 2.0 back on.
when I give the following command:
snort -dev -l log -h 192.168.0.0/30 -c snort.conf

it comes back with an error:
"ERROR: unable to open rules file : snort.conf or./snort.conf
Fatal error quitting"

This used to work before without errors. The only thing I did different
installing it this time, was that i installed it as a user (su root).
Last time I installed snort I was root. Would that make a difference?

Could be.  Check the file and the permissions on it.

  ls -al ./snort.conf

If there isn't read access on the file, then it can't open it.

You might want to find your .conf file and make sure you aren't using the
wrong one.

  locate snort.conf
  (or)  cd / && find . -type f -name snort.conf -print

Find it, then make sure about the perms on it.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams