Snort mailing list archives

Re: Run as user?

From: Joe Hill <joehill () sympatico ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 02:06:08 -0500

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:11:50 -0500 (EST)
Erek Adams <erek () snort org> wrote:

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Joe Hill wrote:

sorry, what I meant was to actually run snort without first su'ing to root.

Not unless you login as root.

well, I'm not *that* much of a noob ;)

is there any way to do this and have access to eth0?

Only if you change permissions on your interface device so that the snort
user/group can access it.

well, I'm a proud member of that group. I cannot find how to give that group perms on the device though. It's not in
/dev...or /proc...where could it be?

when I run snort, it says it will write to /var/log/snort, but I find no such directory or file.

mkdir -p /var/log/snort

done
ie. to kill the process?

No.  Sending snort a HUP will force it to 'restart' and 'reload'.  If you
change permissions on the device, you will be able to HUP it.

cool
I must admit, I only went back about 20 pages...;)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&r=1&w=2

Has a rather nice search feature.  :)

thanks!
-----