Snort mailing list archives

Re: Run as user?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:11:50 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Joe Hill wrote:

sorry, what I meant was to actually run snort without first su'ing to root.

Not unless you login as root.

is there any way to do this and have access to eth0?

Only if you change permissions on your interface device so that the snort
user/group can access it.

when I run snort, it says it will write to /var/log/snort, but I find no such directory or file.

mkdir -p /var/log/snort

ie. to kill the process?

No.  Sending snort a HUP will force it to 'restart' and 'reload'.  If you
change permissions on the device, you will be able to HUP it.

I must admit, I only went back about 20 pages...;)

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&r=1&w=2

Has a rather nice search feature.  :)

-----
Erek Adams