Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a firewall.

From: "David Glosser" <david_glosser () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 02:09:45 -0500

MessageIf you've never set up any IDS before, I'm not sure you would want to place it outside your firewall immediately
You'lll get overwhelmed with probes,scans, script kiddies etc.
First place the box (with the "snorting" NIC unnumbered). On the port monitoring the *internal* interface of your
firewall. Let it work on all of the stuff your firewall lets through. Once you have that under control, then place
another box (or another NIC on the same box) to monitor your internal servers (since breakins can come from internal
users).
Once you have these two under control, then you can worry monitoring stuff outside the firewall,  which I believe is
called *attack detection*. But do you care that much about the stuff your firewall is successfully blocking?

--snip-
   I am trying to convince my company to implement IDS on our network but I have a few questions. I know I would want
one on both sides of the firewall,