Snort mailing list archives

RE: loading snort 1.9.0

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:41:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 SecurityAdmin () aspentech com wrote:

Hi John, I have had a couple files download from snort.org lately that came
in as .tar.tar - just rename them to .tar.gz which is what they should be.
They are a compressed file which is why winzip sees them that way. I'm not
sure why they change the extension on download.

It's because you used IE to download them.  Snag them with _any_ other
browser and they don't get uncompressed on the fly.

The files are really a .tar.gz file which was uncompressed into a .tar
file.  IE managed to mangle the filename and convert it into .tar.tar.
Take off one .tar and you'll be good to go.

Oh, and go get Opera [0].  It'll save you from Internet Exploder.  :)

-----
Erek Adams

[0]     http://www.opera.com/