Snort mailing list archives

RE: Question on database for Snort

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 15:32:48 -0600

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 13:35, Kreimendahl, Chad J wrote:
The majority of setups I've seen with mySQL tend to bog down greatly
when you approach 100k events in the db.  Postgres seems to handle much
more, but still has its problems as the numbers increase.  Oracle has
been the most stable, for those I've had experience with.  I've seen
several Oracle setups storing snort information running much more
complex front-ends than ACID... that easily store and retrieve tens of
millions of records without much more delay than it would a few
thousand.

I have never tested PostgreSQL, so I can't speak to that, but I *can*
address one of your points above.  We are presently querying a mysql
database with 8 million alerts in it, using a web-based interface that
we are designing, and we are getting response times of under 3 seconds.

I think the response time of any front end to a database has a lot more
to do with how the queries are constructed than a lot of people
realize.  For example, a similar query using ACID takes about 680
seconds on a database with 1.5 million alerts in it.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer