Snort mailing list archives

Re: TFTP Get

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:52:54 -0500

Yes, tftp is unauthenticated. That alone is not grounds to call it "nasty", as so are most http and smtp transactions.

It is however nasty to use it for a situation that you want some security.. such as using it to load configs into routers.. I'll agree that's a gigantic flaw in cisco's routers that they even support tftp configuration, because someone might actually try to use it across an insecure network.. particularly if your config contains ipsec shared secrets... ouch.

However TFTP is perfectly fine and adequate for net-boot where you really want anyone and everyone to be able to get a copy of the file without a username and password. Would you rather net-boot devices use non-auth http? anonymous ftp? Neither of these adds anything but overhead to the process, and said devices don't have any writable storage to put a user-name and password for an authenticated download.