Snort mailing list archives

RE: Problem with MYSQL/ACID And Large Database

From: "Pacheco, Michael F." <MPacheco () elcom com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:16:04 -0500

Jeff,

Unless you've got a healthy server running that db, 100,000 entries will
slow you down considerably.  Setup a 2nd server with MySQL, import the
schema (create_mysql.sql) for snort, set your passwords and db permissions
and go to the ACID box - I believe the file is acid_conf.php - the setup for
the archive instance is right under the setup for the primary instance.
Archive off as much as you can, get the primary down to 20-30k ( I keep mine
around 15k) - work the alerts you get, if you can't or want to save them for
data mining archive them and set up alert groups on the archive site.  I run
a whole separate instance of ACID just looking at my archive site so it will
not performance degrade my primary. You can to this chain style as many
times as you want - one small box holding 30 day data, another one 60 day -
etc... as many as you have room and boxes for.  I run my back end archive
db's on converted Compaq 600 desktops with extra memory and HD with separate
instances of ACID - modify the header page title so I know what db I'm
looking at, add an index page for the group to click through my primary site
into the archives and you've got yourself a homegrown distributed setup -
throw in Barnyard on the sensors and snortsnarf on the archives and your all
set!  The pig can squeal very nicely if you plan it out and stay on top of
him!!

IMHO - your mileage might vary. (Sorry for the soap box, I get cranked up
sometimes - my beanie propeller is spinning to fast now)
Mike

Michael F. Pacheco  CCNA, MCSE
Network Analyst
Elcom International