Snort mailing list archives

Re: To hub or not to hub

From: "Bob Staaf" <rstaaf () direcway com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:06:00 -0500

Sorry, I came into this thread late :)  Are you replacing the switch with a
hub or adding a hub before your switch?  If you replace the switch with a
hub you are losing a bit of security that a switched network provides.  If
you are adding a hub before your switch you are just adding an extra point
of failure and another piece of equipment to maintain.  I would highly
suggest a tap as the good ones will fail in the open position still allowing
traffic to flow.

There is a good FAQ on the subject at
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/sniffing-faq.html

Hope this helps!