Snort mailing list archives

[OT] Policy on broken vacation rules?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:38:10 -0500

Well, not entirely OT as it's about the policy of the list itself and it's users, but it's not snort related...

Currently MarglesSingleton () firsthealth com has a broken vacation rule that replies to every post to the list. Worse still, it also replies to the list when Chris Green posts with a reply-to: header pointing back to the list. Everyone on the list saw that, so it's not like this is news to anyone.

It not like the MUA/MTA being used is incapable of a proper vacation rule, even the Groupwise website has tips how to make a loop resistant vacation rule:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/gwmag/features/tips/t_cool_vacation_rule.html

The Groupwise helpfiles contain a vacation rule setup section which is loop-prone.. however they don't tell you to use it for emails, just appointments and the like. Unfortunately most users just add on the "mail" checkbox, failing to realize this creates a DoS vulnerability to their mailserver and a general risk of looping with other autoresponders which are just as dumb.

Not to single Margles out as the only person with a bad vacation rule, there's been *lots* of other offenders and repeat offenders, but it *is* getting worse and does raise the question of how the list (or it's subscribers) should defend itself (themselves).

Is there any policy about handling users subscribed to the list that are engaging in dangerous reply tactics that run great risks of creating mail-loops and dumping thousands of messages on an unsuspecting mailserver? (unconditional auto-reply to the address in the "reply-to" header on delivery is a broken and *dangerous* behavior in a mailer). If there isn't is it getting to be time there is one?

Sure I can just 550 everything coming out of firstheath.com, or any other offending domain, but I'd rather not have to add 550's just to be able to post to snort users without having broken vacation rules responding to me.

550ing also runs the risk of DoSing a mailserver if a vacation rule is severely broken and loops itself with the bounce-messages, ie: I once saw one guy that had an unconditional auto-reply on his mailbox and had postmaster, root, and every other system address aliased to himself. A bounce of a bounce would wind up in postmaster's box.. which was his, which would be replied to.. etc.

In general broken auto-responders are becoming an increasing and repeated problem when I'm posting to snort-users. Is there any general consensus on the best way to handle these? I really enjoy trying to help users out, but I don't want it to get to the point where every post to the list consistently generates 10 broken vacation rules replying back to me for each post, or worse, to me *and* the list itself.

I'd also really like to NOT see a situation where a fast loop forms and we get 100,000 posts to the list in 1 hour. Fortunately the list itself doesn't do reply-to munging to point back at itself, as this would have likely DoSed the entire list already. But all it takes is a slight twist of the same broken rule to create a "loop-through-mailinglist" DoS that affects us all (Groupwise has a "reply to all" (sender and recipients) option. If that was used instead we'd all have a LOT of email right now)