Snort mailing list archives

Re: No alerts: Good or bad

From: Adam Shephard <sfnative33 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:40:16 -0800 (PST)

--- Erek Adams <erek () snort org> wrote:
*STOP*  Do _NOT_ pass go.  Do _NOT_ collect $200.

Head straight to http://www.snort.org/dl/ and grab
1.9.0.  There are
binaries there if you need, but since the source is
just './configure &&
make install' (for the most part) it won't be a
painful thing.

Done. Debian does have 1.9.0 in their UNSTABLE
distribution so switching to it is not big deal.

*gack*  I'm sorry you are having to use a
Watchguard...  Damned thing
gave me a nervous tick when I had to use it.  ;-)

I didn't it mind it too much until I set up my own box
using pf. Now, the Firebox is the bane of my
existence.

Honestly, it sounds like all is good.  But, it's
always good to take the
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
<snip>Depending on your HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET
settings, if you do see traffic you may or may not
have issues.

Try:

      var HOME_NET 192.168.0.0/24   (or whatever)
      var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET
</snip>
That's what I've got in there. So, I figured "Cool.
This should be simple." But noooooooooo.

I've got the Firebox allowing a range of ports in from
the address of my box running nmap. I know nmap is
getting through because I can see it both on the
Firebox logs and on the logs of a machine inside the
network.

I have snort on in sniffer mode and can see lots of
traffic coming across it but none of that traffic is
coming from my nmap box. I thought that perhaps it
would look like traffic from the Firebox but there
isn't any of that either.

At first I felt like I was just paranoid and was
trying to triple-check everything. Now, I'm wondering.