Snort mailing list archives

Re: No alerts: Good or bad

From: Joerg Weber <j.weber () infos de>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 17:03:25 +0100

Hi Adam,

So, do I assume all is well or are there other
approaches I should take in terms of testing?

create a dummy rule which alerts on traffic from external hosts
connecting to an internal box on some port, then try to do just that
from an external system (provided your firewalls let you go through and
your box actually gets to see the traffic).

If you get an alert then you'r on a quiet segment and your FWs drop the
attacks :) If not, I'd check the setup.

Cheers,

Joerg

--