Snort mailing list archives

Sick baby pig...

From: "David A. Dorney" <dldorney () compuserve com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:56:14 -0500

Hi all,
I have a Debian Woody with a Snort V1.8.4-beta1. Yes I am new to both
Snort and Linux.

When I do ./snort -T the response is,
Failed to lookup for interface: no suitable device found. Please specify
one with -i switch.

The config file looks like this, and it seems to be right for my network,
This file is used for options that are changed by Debian
to leave
# the original lib files untouched.
# You have to use "dpkg-reconfigure snort" to change them.
DEBIAN_SNORT_STARTUP=boot
DEBIAN_SNORT_HOME_NET="192.168.0.0/16"
DEBIAN_SNORT_OPTIONS=" -i eth0"
DEBIAN_SNORT_STATS_RCPT="root"
DEBIAN_SNORT_STATS_TRESHOLD="1"

Testing with ./snort -i -T gets a very nice response,
Log directory /log/var/snort
Initialize Network Interface -T
snort uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
ioct1(SIOC*MTU) no such device
Automagic MTU discovery failed. using default 1500ERROR:
OpenPcap() device -T open: bind no such device.
Fatal Error, Quitting...

At this point I am very lost. Any thought on where I should
start?

David A. Dorney