Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard woes

From: Ken Gunderson <kgunders () teamcool net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:16:00 -0700

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 08:15 am, Joerg Weber wrote:
Hallo everyone,

I've had barnyard running on my test-system, but didn't like the way
I had things up so I decided to do a clean, neat config.
Big mistake :)

Here's my problem:
1) I'd like to use SnortCenter to maintain my sensors. SnortCenter
adds the unified_plugin like this:
output log_unified: filename snort-unified, limit 500
but no alert_unified:
Should I add this by hand via a preprocessor?

preprocessor???  unified is an output plugin...;-)

i have only been experimenting with barnyard, but follows is my
understanding thus far:

if you want to be logging alerts....  but i don't think you can point it
to the same file as the log because barnyard can only take one input
per instance in it's present incarnation.  hence you need to point
output to second file and run two instances of barnyard.

2) Snort's running fine and happily logging into
/var/log/snort/snort-unified.
Now I'm setting up my barnyard.conf like
config hostname: Inhouse
config interface: eth1
processor dp_alert
processor dp_log
processor dp_stream_stat
output log_acid_db: mysql, sensor_id 7, database snort, server [ip],
user [user], password [root]

this will log "logs" to database.  you also need alert_acid_db if you
want to log alerts to db as well, but then since snort unified will log
"log" events to both snort-unified.log and snort-unified.alert, you
will get two inserts into your db per log event.  if you only use
alert_acid_db, you  miss logging the payload.  if you only use
log_acid_db, then you miss logging alerts.  (while barnyard can only
take one input per instance, i think one instance of barnyard is apable
of logging events to >1 output).  so you're back to 2 instances,
logging "log" events to db and "alert" events to file (or vice versa
and not having paylod data logged to db).

Now I'm starting barnyard like
barnyard -c /root/barnyard-0.1.0-beta5/etc/barnyard.conf -f
/var/log/snort/snort-unified -w /var/log/snort/waldo
And the result looks like
Skipping tagged packet 1389
Skipping tagged packet 1392
Skipping tagged packet 1394
Skipping tagged packet 1396
Skipping tagged packet 1398
[and on and on and on...]
What's up with that?

what does mysql give you when you SELECT * ON sensor?  does it jive with
what your barnyard config has?

the first thing i would suggest when troubleshooting something like this
would be to upgrade to the latest stable release.

3) Same happens when I try to run barnyard with the -f
/var/log/snort/scan.log

4) The reason I'm running into this is my dislike of running two
instances of barnyard, one for log, one for alert. Isn't there a more
clever way to do things?

afaik; this is the only way you can do it because of barnyard's
limitation to one input source per instance.

hope this helped some.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson