Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard woes

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 15:38:34 -0600

Has any consideration been given to adding more action options to the
rules?  Here's why I ask.  I've created a custom rule that allows me
(using flexresp) to reset both ends of the conversation.  The rule is
activated by any host that is included in a var - BLOCKED_HOSTS.  If I
set the database to log so I can see the payload, then I get tons of
alerts from this rule.  If I set the database to alert, then I don't see
the alerts from this rule, but I lose the payload information.

I'd like to see an action that would allow me to - not alert, but log
*locally only*, regardless of the setting of the database.  (Does this
make sense?)  Maybe you could call this action "activate", and the
action would be, the rule works, but the data doesn't get logged to the
database, only to the local logs (by IP address.)

Is this a problem with the database plugin?

Am I the only one who would like to see something like this?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer