Snort mailing list archives

Re: Design questions...

From: "Jarret Gibson" <jarret () osa comax com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:41:56 -0500

Design questions...Right now, I am having a single Win 2k server which I do web development from (P3 400, 128 RAM)
which is also running snort to monitor two T-1 lines and a 10 mbps network of about 25 systems.  It is logging to its
MSSQL installation.  Believe it or not, it's actually handling all the traffic pretty flawlessly.  I do have to reboot
it every few days as Snort and MSSQL slowly but surely seem to consume my page file (memory leak?  not sure).

IMO, I'd give it a shot.  The two T-1 lines would be no problem for a modern dedicated machine to keep up with.  The
100 mbps networks, I honestly don't know.   If it's doing nothing but running snort, I'm betting it would handle it.
Take what ya can get and give it a try :D

Jarret Gibson