Snort mailing list archives

Re: stealth interface

From: Joe Matusiewicz <joem () nist gov>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:56:40 -0400

At 04:04 PM 10/1/02, Dallas Jordan wrote:
I am pretty new to snort, so forgive my ignorance.  I have FreeBSD 4.5 and
Snort 1.8.1.  I am trying to set Snort up to monitor an interface with no IP
address.  But I cant seem to get it to log anything to the /var/log/snort
directory.  When I start Snort everything appears to be fine.  I use the -v
flag to see if it is "seeing" anything, and I can see lots of packets on the
monitor.  But none are getting logged.

I had the same problem using Red Hat 7.*. I don't know about BSD. If I configured the interface with no ip address, snort saw nothing. If I gave it an address of 0.0.0.0 and specified what interface snort should listen on -- it would work.

Hope this helps....

-- Joe