Snort mailing list archives

RE: stealth interface

From: "Wirth, Jeff" <WirthJe () DNB com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:59:45 -0400

From: Dallas Jordan [mailto:DJordan () sawgrassink com]

I am pretty new to snort, so forgive my ignorance.  I have
FreeBSD 4.5 and
Snort 1.8.1.  I am trying to set Snort up to monitor an
interface with no IP

I would upgrade to 1.8.7...lots of fixes

address.  But I cant seem to get it to log anything to the
/var/log/snort
directory.  When I start Snort everything appears to be fine.
 I use the -v
flag to see if it is "seeing" anything, and I can see lots of

<snip>

!$HOME_NET.  Don't know if that helps anyone.  I also have
another NIC with
a IP address that I will use to access the snort box.  If I
set up snort to
monitor this interface, it works as it should.  Everything
gets logged into

How is your first nic configured in rc.conf?  Does ifconfig report the nic
as up?

directories according to IP addresses.  I also have a rule
that alerts to
all TCP traffic, just to check if SnortSnarf is working
correctly with my
alert file.  When Snort is monitoring the interface with no
IP no alerts are
logged.  But they are logged, when monitoring the interface
with an IP.  I
am sure it is something simple I'm missing, but I cant figure it out.
Thanks for any help you can give.

sounds OS related to me.

- Jeff