Snort mailing list archives

RE: Any HOWTO for merging separate snort IDS's into central DB?

From: "Cloppert, Michael" <Michael.Cloppert () 53 com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:41:53 -0500

I am managing snort systems in Sweden, East and West Coast
USA and New
Zealand. Try centralizing that without running the risk of
DoSing your
WAN links...

For me it's a matter of redundancy.  I keep data on the sensors in case some
piece of network hardware takes a dump between my sensor and my central
database.  Also, if for some reason disaster befell my backend database, I
could only restore from tape to the most recent backup (the night before,
presumably).  I could rebuild ALL data in this case by simply re-importing
the events.

Mike