Snort mailing list archives

Re: Any HOWTO for merging separate snort IDS's into central DB?

From: Andrea Barisani <lcars () infis univ trieste it>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:47:31 +0100

From: Jason Haar [mailto:Jason.Haar () trimble co nz]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 6:55 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Any HOWTO for merging separate snort IDS's into
central DB?

For network protection we're running snort on separate boxes
with local
MySQL databases. However, once a month (say) I'd like to pull
those SQL logs
together into a "meta-DB" so that we can look at the IDS
network as a whole.

Obviously snort on these standalone systems are re-using the
same id numbers
for different things, so I was wondering if anyone had
written a script that
could allow such separate databases to be pulled together as
a consistent
offering. All our snort systems run the same release and same
schema, so
there data is internally consistent.

Hi,

you can take a look at my Multiple Snort Sensor HOWTO,

http://www.infis.univ.trieste.it/~lcars/ids

It's not exactly what you are asking but maybe it can be helpful.

Bye

INFIS Network Administrator & Security Officer         .*.
Department of Physics       - University of Trieste    /V\
lcars () infis univ trieste it - PGP Key 0x8E21FE82      (/ \)