Snort mailing list archives

Re: Any HOWTO for merging separate snort IDS's into central DB?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 21:24:52 +1300

Benjamin Hippler wrote:

hi,
i have currently 3 sensors (will become more) for 4 C nets logging into one
central MySQL DB and works fine. Why do you still want to write the
logs/entries locally? if you give all your boxes the same mysql hostname to
write the logs you dont have to merge all your stuff afterwards.

I am managing snort systems in Sweden, East and West Coast USA and New Zealand. Try centralizing that without running the risk of DoSing your WAN links...

I have personally seen snort produce 300 alerts/sec due to one of these networks having extremely odd SNMP traffic triggering it. If I had central logging, I would have taken down our company's WAN... (100Mbs monitored links don't go down T1 WAN links very well...)

Jason