Snort mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:12:45 -0800

:: I would to write a rule, alerting for 'NOT' a specific content.
:: The problems arises, when I try to use "Multiple Contents" (I'm wanting to use
:: multiple 'OR' expressions)
::
:: The Logic:
:: Alert if content is,  NOT 'ABC'  OR   NOT 'DEF'  OR   NOT 'GHI'

I think the best way to do this would be to write 4 rules in your own
library, not just one rule.  The first three will check that the content
doesn't match the given binary string, and the last one will alert if it's
reached.

From Section 2.1 of the Snort Manual:

  All of the elements in that make up a rule must be true for the indicated
  rule action to be taken. When taken together, the elements can be
  considered to form a logical AND statement. At the same time, the various
  rules in a Snort rules library file can be considered to form a large
  logical OR statement.

What I would suggest:

pass udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"RTP TRAFFIC";
content: !"|80 04";)
pass udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"RTP TRAFFIC";
content: !"|80 05";)
pass udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"RTP TRAFFIC";
content: !"|81 c8";)
alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"NON RTP TRAFFIC";)

FAQ entry 3.13 should explain how this would get converted into a
rulechain.  http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#3.13

Cheers - Erick