Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stealth sensor on SPAN port w/o tap

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:20:48 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Robert MacKinnon wrote:

Is it possible to have three Ethernet interfaces in a snort sensor; one
interface connected to a management network for sensor control and
reporting and the other two sensors connected into seperate switches
configured in a high availability mode?  ASCII art follows:

[...snip...]

Sure is.  In fact, it's a fairly common thing.

The etherchannel connects the switches together in a HA arrangement.  The
snort sensors would be connected to SPAN ports monitoring local ports on
each switch (10/100 baseT speeds).  STP would block nonactive ports so only
one sensor at a time would be receiving data.  The interfaces would be
stealthy.

My question arrises because I'm not sure if I would have to
-  configure two instances of snort on the same machine and give each
sensor an ID in ACID.
or
- configure one instance of snort with multiple -i flag options.

Option 2 wouldn't work as Snort only uses one -i flag.

Option 3:  Use a Linux kernel 2.1.x/2.2.x+ and use the "-i any" option
[0].

Option 4:  Use a *BSD and bonding to combine both physical interfaces into
one logical one that you can sniff.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams