Snort mailing list archives

Re: Getting Snort to run from RC3.D

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:16:23 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Lance Lloyd wrote:

I can get snort to run no problem in shell.  But I can't for the life of me
get it to load on boot.  Would someone mind sharing with me a script to get
this sucker going?  Or point me to a good reference.

One thing that you might want to check is your command line options.  If
you have a -D in the startup script, then try and fire off the same
commandline via a shell, but w/o the -D.  If it works just fine, I'd guess
it was a $PATH or permissions issue.

As for a script, Google on 'snortd' and you should find a copy of a Linux
based script, IIRC.  You can also check the FAQ [0], as there's one listed
there that 'will keep snort running' that you could copy and modify as
needed.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams