Snort mailing list archives

Stealth sensor on SPAN port w/o tap

From: Robert MacKinnon <robert.mackinnon () broadpark no>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:26:11 +0100

Is it possible to have three Ethernet interfaces in a snort sensor; one interface connected to a management network for sensor control and reporting and the other two sensors connected into seperate switches configured in a high availability mode? ASCII art follows:

                                    +-----------------------------+
                                     |             SW1A       |
                                    +------+------------------+-+
       +-------------+                    |                    |
--------|  SNORT +-------------------+                   |
        |              +---------------------------+        Etherchannel
        +-------------+                           |            |
                                      |       SW1B             |

The etherchannel connects the switches together in a HA arrangement. The snort sensors would be connected to SPAN ports monitoring local ports on each switch (10/100 baseT speeds). STP would block nonactive ports so only one sensor at a time would be receiving data. The interfaces would be stealthy.

My question arrises because I'm not sure if I would have to
- configure two instances of snort on the same machine and give each sensor an ID in ACID.
or
- configure one instance of snort with multiple -i flag options.

Any opinions?  TIA.

        - Rob.