Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort placement

From: neptuna <neptuna () neptuna org>
Date: 05 Aug 2002 05:35:53 -0400

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 15:57, Christopher Cook wrote:
what you can do, and what I have setup, is Snort is invisible to
everything else.  So take my setup at home right now.

CM ----> Snort ----> Router/FW ----> Snort ----> hub ----> computers.

Both snort boxes are address-less and store the data locally in a mySQL
database with output to ACID to make it all pretty and nice.  This way
they capture all the traffic, but there's nothing there to give them
away as being Snort boxes.  So you would take your Cable Modem, plug it
into one NIC of the Snort, and then connect the other NIC to Router.
The same thing is done with the inside one, except you connect the
router to Snort and Snort to the switch.

hmm, that sounds ok. So i would not be assigning an IP address to the
interfaces on the snort boxes?

As someone else pointed out, hooking into the switch more than likely
won't capture traffic as the switch doesn't broadcast to all ports.  If
you can turn your switch into a hub, then this would work.

assuming I can't get port mirroring on this switch, i do have a hub here
that i can use.

Thanks again