Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort placement

From: "J. Craig Woods" <drjung () trismegistus net>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 14:22:26 -0500

neptuna wrote:

Hi

I am new to snort. I have a simple home LAN, with a Cable modem and a
linux box acting as a Router/ FW.  I have 3 machines on the inside. All
are connected to a cheap little D-link switch. Is my only option to put
snort on the Linux Router/FW ?
I have read the FAQ concerning this but i am still not sure. Any
suggestions or pointers to more documentation is appreciated.

Thanks

If your gateway/firewall server is a multi-homed system (dual nics),
putting the sensor on the external nic works nicely for me. If you are
running a single nic server, you might want to look elsewhere for sensor
location, i.e. maybe your switch, if it supports port mirroring...

Just some thoughts,
drjung

--
J. Craig Woods