Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort placement

From: Christopher Cook <crcook () oakland edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 16:05:56 -0400

Yeah, what he said.  Gotta snap out of work mode sometimes. :-)

David Yip wrote:

Hey guys, be realistic! It's just a home network. Forget about tap or port mirroring, either install on the gateway or use a hub. No matter how cheap the DLink is, it's still a switch, you'll need a hub. It won't hurt to use a hub since your traffic will not exceed 10-20MB on a cable connection. In my opinion, putting it on the internal segment should be a better solution for your situation since it will save you a lot of time and concentrate only on the critical alerts that have come into your network. Trust me, there are a lot of scanning going on, and you won't want to see thaem all, let the firewall do its job.