Snort mailing list archives

Re: re: instant snort sigs for new vulnerabilites

From: "Maarten Hartsuijker" <maarten () hartsuijker com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:10:11 +0200

One downside: oinkmaster deactivates (at least the version I once
downloaded) sids by placing a "#" at the beginning of a rule.

I only does so for the sids you tell Oinkmaster to disable. This is a
feature
and I don't get why this would be a downside.
(Or would you for some reason prefer that the unwanted rules were removed
instead of commented out?)
Ofcourse the downside was the fact that the 1.9 rules are uncommented.
Didn't know about the -p switch though... Probably should have RTFM-ed
better.

It also
activates all rules with a "#" at the beginning of a line when they are
not
specified by oinkmaster. Since the new 1.9 rules are commented out with
"#", you will have problems with 1.8 because oinkmaster uncomments the
lines.

... Unless you specify "-p" which will preserve the commented out lines.

I agree this is stupid, and this has been changed in 0.6 which will be
released as soon as I have a free minute :)

Hey, who was there first? Your script or the 1.8 rulesets with 1.9 rules in
it?!? I think the script is very usefull, and those changes will only make
it better. thanks for making it available!

maarten