Snort mailing list archives

Re: instant snort sigs for new vulnerabilites

From: Nick Zitzmann <nickzman () mac com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 22:07:38 -0700

On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 01:57  PM, Steve McGhee wrote:

is there a tool/method out there that will retrieve the *latest* snort
signatures automatically? for those of us not running snort via CVS, id
like a way to do something like cvsup, but _only_ update my ruleset
every night or whatever.

HenWen (see my page) will do something like this, and it'll install them as well, but it is Mac OS X only right now. I'm right now analyzing the possibility of bringing it to other platforms.

You could try this, assuming you have Curl installed and your rules directory is called "rules":

cd (one step back from your rules directory)
curl -O http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/snortrules.tar.gz
tar -xzf ./snortrules.tar.gz

...then restart Snort.

Nick Zitzmann