Snort mailing list archives

RE: FreeBSD or NetBSD for a sensor

From: "Moyer, Shawn" <SMoyer () rgare com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:22:53 -0500

I use FBSD because I like their package management and the hardware support
is maybe a wee bit broader, but I strip the FBSD install to no network
services except ssh and harden it with a minimal install and
kern_securelevel=3, plus IPF and such. If you don't want to do as much of
that after the fact, OpenBSD is the way to go. There are probably some other
pros and cons beside that, but these were the main reasons for my choice,
plus as a lot of folks have mentioned it just comes down to this is what I'm
comfortable using.

--shawn