Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pass Rule not working?

From: Shane Williams <shanew () shanew net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:24:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Steve Lebeda wrote:

I've been getting alerts in ACID because of ICMP packets. The message is
ICMP Destination Unreachable (Communication Administratively Prohibited)
I know this particular issue has been addressed previously and I think I
understand why it's happening. The servers on my Home Net are trying to
ping to places that they aren't allowed to ping and the packets are being
returned by an intermediary device. Trying to be clever, I wrote a pass
rule in my local.rules file:

pass icmp any any -> *.*.*.* any (itype: 3; icode: 13)

I'm still getting errors.

What'd I do wrong?

Maybe I'm missing something, but did you try:
pass icmp any any -> any any (itype: 3; icode: 13)

I don't think *.*.*.* is a valid IP address in a rule.

--
http://pgp.mit.edu/                |