Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 1.8.7 (Unaligned access)

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:35:19 -0400

I'm not super-educated on the subject, but here's what little I know about the subject. Perhaps someone else has a better idea than I...

In general an Unaligned access like that means that a structure member was accessed at a memory alignment that was not an even multiple of it's size. Most 32 bit processors are tolerant of this, most 64bit ones are not and it causes a processor exception.

For example, if I had a structure consisting of:

4byte field   n1
1 byte field  b1
4byte field   n2

and the whole structure was forced to be single-byte aligned, accessing n2 causes an exception on any processor with strict alignment rules (ie: some 64bit ones and a few 32bit risc ones), but is perfectly fine on most byte-oriented 32bit processors.

Most of the time structures are declared without specific alignment so if needed the compiler inserts padding bytes so that all members are accessed in proper alignment.

Why snort would have such an alignment issue isn't clear to me. TCP/IP headers are all aligned pretty well, and those are likely to be the only packed structs needed in snort.