Snort mailing list archives

Re: Starting Snort at Boot Up

From: "Jason Monroe \"JC\"" <monroe () nas nasa gov>
Date: 26 Aug 2002 21:10:22 -0700

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
To: Nathanael Morrison <nathanael_morrison () cogeco ca>
cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Starting Snort at Boot Up

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Nathanael Morrison wrote:

I can't seem to get snort to start at boot up.

I'm current using the following:

Linux 2.4.18
MySQL 3.23.39
Snort 1.8.6

I created two startup scripts,  /etc/rc.mysqld and /etc/rc.snortd.
I then run /etc/rc.mysqld first and then /etc/rc.snortd by making a
call from
/etc/rc.local. MySQL starts up fine, but snort does not. When I looked
at the
system logs I found the following error:

snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local
MySQL server
through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Now this is the part I can't figure out. If I call /etc/rc.snortd
after
logging in, snort starts up fine. Everything runs great, snort is
logging to
MySQL, and I can analyse the packets with ACID. Maybe I'm missing
something... any ideas?

Be a pal

The details of the database plugin configuration

cat /etc/rc.snortd

what permissions the snort user for mysql user have been granted and if
a password has been specified?
        mysql -e 'use mysql; select * from user where   user="<snort_user>";' -u
root -p <password>

Details to whether or not after you run the /etc/rc.mysqld you can issue
a mysql -e 'use snortdb; select * from details;' -u <some_user> -p
<password> snortdb and have it return the data

JC