Snort mailing list archives

Re: Starting Snort at Boot Up

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Nathanael Morrison wrote:

I can't seem to get snort to start at boot up.

I'm current using the following:

Linux 2.4.18
MySQL 3.23.39
Snort 1.8.6

I created two startup scripts,  /etc/rc.mysqld and /etc/rc.snortd.
I then run /etc/rc.mysqld first and then /etc/rc.snortd by making a call from
/etc/rc.local. MySQL starts up fine, but snort does not. When I looked at the
system logs I found the following error:

snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Now this is the part I can't figure out. If I call /etc/rc.snortd after
logging in, snort starts up fine. Everything runs great, snort is logging to
MySQL, and I can analyse the packets with ACID. Maybe I'm missing
something... any ideas?

A couple:

        *  It's related to files and/or permissions.  Are you trying to run
snort as a user?  If so, make sure that user can access the
/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock socket.  Have the script(s) give you a ls -l of the
directory and see if you can tell what's breaking it.

        *  Make sure that mysqld is started and has the socket built before
you attempt to start snort.  Perhaps even build logic to check if the socket
is there before it starts.

        *  Upgrade to a newer version of snort.  I would honestly suggest
trying to run the current CVS snapshot of the 1.8 tree.  It's got quite a few
changes and updates.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams