Snort mailing list archives

Re: Just one match could cover serious attack

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:02:03 -0700

Alvaro:

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 07:43:38AM -0700, Alvaro Lillo wrote:
I have seen that some packets that match more than
one rule of snort only generate one alert. This
happens because snort at the first match don`t
continue
comparing content. This could cover an attack
generating only alerts of low importance.

There`s any way for give priority to some rules over
others (the idea is that snort first search for
matches in some selected rules before the others)?

Other than reordering the include's in snort.conf, and/or reordering
individual rules within a given *.rules file, I don't believe there's
any way to do what you're suggesting.

And think about it: at the moment, snort stops examining a packet at
first match.

If snort was to do what you're suggesting, then snort would need to
maintain two separate states for each packet: what matches had been
found, and where in the rule parsing sequence it should resume looking
for yet another match.

Quite a bit of overhead to perform for each packet.

- John
--
"In those days, you could not buy a $2000 200MHz Pentium server."

PGP key:     http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800  4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705