Snort mailing list archives

Re: Replying conventions

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:47:42 -0400

Heh, ok, I think this thread has gotten long and meandered way off-topic and off-point, but as a quick summary/clarification prior to letting this thread die:

The original question was why anyone on the list would object to such a double-addressing of an email, when they are NOT the person who is going to get two copies (ie: they are just someone else who subscribes to the list and are annoyed for some reason).

As a hypothetical example picture me responding to this post To: jsage () finchhaven com, snort-users () lists sourceforge net and this causing someone else on the list like Erek or Marty to get bent out of shape (not that Erek or Marty would, this is a hypothetical example)

Based on the ensuing discussion, it makes sense why the original question author might object to getting two copies, i.e. John in my example, but why this would bother anyone else subscribed to the list is unclear. As I said before, the only thing I can think of is it might have caused a very lame mailfilter rule to fail to put my email in the proper mailbox, and that's a mis-configured filter rule on their end, not a problem on my end IMO.

In any event, sounds like it's more or less a moot point and this thread should die off. If someone has any good reason why such a reply format would be of detriment to the list as a whole, and not just the duplicated author, I encourage them to post it, but it sounds like everyone else has no better ideas about this than I do. :)