Snort mailing list archives

Re: Replying conventions

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

I'm ok with getting a response twice.  The answer to
my question shows up faster (being addressed to me)
and the googlers can find a potential solution
(addressed to list).

I say humbug to anyone that would complain about
something so trivial.  Unless it's in person, then I
would say a lot more.

--- Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:
This morning I got some all-caps flame mail in reply
to one of my list
postings. The posting in question was one in which I
replied to: the
author, and the list. The Canadian complainer wasn't
on the to: or cc: of
the email complained about, so I can only presume he
was complaining
because the To: line didn't start with
snort-users () sourceforge net.

As far as I can tell, replying to the author, and
to: the list, or replying
to: the author and cc: the list is pretty common in
snort users. Anyone
have any explanation as to why someone might object
that I replied to the
author as well as the list, when they were not the
author?

The only reason I can see that this would bother a
bystanding list
subscriber is if they have a pretty lame MUA which
can't handle filtering
mail into separate mailboxes when there's multiple
recipients in the to:
line. And that's a pretty lame complaint IMO. Anyone
got any valid gripes
against this practice?

The complaint I got consisted of:

PLEASE POST TO THE LIST ONLY!

I asked:
      Erm, what the heck is your problem?

and got back:
      You must be really dense!

Followed by a subsequent email asking for a more in
depth explanation of
their problem being 553'ed

I chalk it up to mostly being some dimbulb who has a
bug up his hind end
about the way everyone else in the world doesn't do
things his way, but it
did pique my curiosity.

=====