Snort mailing list archives

Re: Preventing Attacks

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 05:31:37 -0700

Jeff:

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:57:20AM -0500, Jeff Taylor wrote:
To clarify, I want to put Snort listening after the IPtables (linux
2.4.16) REJECT and DENY rules block from the external net.  To repeat,
this is all on one host, adding extra NICs, hosts, hardware, etc. is
not part of the answer I am looking for.

I am looking at Snort as a more sophisticated replacement for
Portsentry.  It does not tell my about attacks that are stopped by
IPtables, only about ones that get thru.  It is mildly interesting to
see what attacks are being thrown at my box.  What I want to know is
what attacks are penetrating the IPtables packet filter.

Although my experience is still back on ipchains, the answer in that
case is that -- when snort and ipchains are on the same box -- snort
sees everything that ipchains sees.

Not what's left over, but *everything*..

I have not heard anything to the contrary about iptables, again, when
snort and iptables *are on the same box*

(I emphasize that because invariably this sort of discussion gets
garbled by people who are running snort on a *different box* than the
ipchains/iptables box. Then snort only sees what ip[chains|tables] has
passed..)

- John
--
"You are in a little maze of twisty passages, all different."