Snort mailing list archives

Re: Preventing Attacks

From: Jeff Taylor <jeff () austinblues dyndns org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:57:20 -0500

To clarify, I want to put Snort listening after the IPtables (linux
2.4.16) REJECT and DENY rules block from the external net.  To repeat,
this is all on one host, adding extra NICs, hosts, hardware, etc. is
not part of the answer I am looking for.

I am looking at Snort as a more sophisticated replacement for
Portsentry.  It does not tell my about attacks that are stopped by
IPtables, only about ones that get thru.  It is mildly interesting to
see what attacks are being thrown at my box.  What I want to know is
what attacks are penetrating the IPtables packet filter.

TIA,
  Jeffrey

Quoting Jeffrey Taylor <jeff () austinblues dyndns org>:
Is it possible to have Snort listen inside the firewall?  This is on a
one host set up.  I would like to see what is getting thru the
firewall, not what is thrown at the firewall.

TIA,
  Jeffrey